What Do I Do If I Damage My Dentures Southfield, MI
If you have dentures, it is important to handle them with care so they can remain in as good a condition as possible. Still, it is wise to ask, "What do I do if I damage my dentures?" We can offer the information and tools necessary to address a problem if you have one. At Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC can answer any questions you have regarding denture care. To schedule an appointment with our dental office, call (313) 217-5067. In the meantime, here is what you should know.
Where do I start?
If your dentures are damaged, visit our dental office so we can examine them and determine the best way to fix them. One thing you should keep in mind is that your dentures will need to be adjusted one or several times when you first receive them. Patients may call our family dentist office worried that they did something to cause their dentures to fit incorrectly, when in actuality, they only need to be adjusted so they can fit perfectly.
We are an emergency dentist, so if you did indeed damage them, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our dental practice right away. You can do so by calling 313-217-5067.
Home Care Tips
You should never try to fix your dentures on your own since this can cause the damage to spread. However, there are certain things you can do at home before heading to the dentist, including:
- Gather anything that has broken off. We encourage you to gather any piece of your dentures that has broken off, including any of the wiring.
- Use dental wax. If the clasps have become slightly loose, they could be rubbing against your gums and irritating them. In this case, you may want to buy dental wax to place on the wire as a temporary barrier. Be sure to see a “dentist near me” who can treat you quickly.
- Take them out. Soak your dentures or place them in a case for transportation to our office. Do not continue wearing damaged dentures.
Warning: Do Not Do This If You Damage Your Dentures
Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC warns patients to avoid doing the following, since this can permanently damage dentures and reduce the likelihood that they can be repaired.
- Do not buy a home repair kit. These can cause your dentures to break even further, and we have treated patients who have had to spend more money because of it.
- Do not use over-the-counter glues. Some of them are full of chemicals that can harm you. It is not worth the risk when you can visit our dentist office for help.
Check out what others are saying about our damaged denture support services on Yelp: What Do I Do If I Damage My Dentures in Southfield?
Alternatives to Dentures From a Cosmetic Dentist in Southfield, MI
As a cosmetic dentistry office, we can provide you with alternatives to dentures if you are interested in a more permanent and convenient solution. This includes:
Dental crowns and dental bridges.
We can address partial tooth loss with dental crowns and dental bridges. In this case, the remaining teeth are prepared to create space for the dental crowns. Simultaneously, the crowns, gum base, and new teeth (bridge) are created in the dental lab. You will then come in for the crowns to be secured to the teeth adjacent to the missing ones. These crowns will serve as anchors to hold the bridge in place. In this way, your new teeth will be secure enough to enjoy your favorite foods, speak with confidence, and smile without being concerned about how your teeth may appear. You can care for your dental crowns and dental bridges like you would your natural teeth, and they should remain in place for years.
Solving Problems With Dentures
If your dentures need to be repaired, call (313) 217-5067 and schedule an appointment with our dental center right away. We can adjust them so the fit is improved, have damage corrected at the dental lab, and make sure your dentures fit as well as they possibly can. Since we are an emergency dentist office, we can schedule your appointment for the same day in many cases. If, however, you are tired of life with dentures, we are a cosmetic dentistry office and can provide you with alternatives that make it easier to enjoy life without thinking about your teeth.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Denture Terminology
- Alveolar Bone
- The alveolar bone is the bone surrounding the root of the tooth that keeps the tooth in place.
- A clasp is a device that holds a removable partial denture prosthesis to the teeth.
- Denture Base
- The denture base is the part of the denture that connects the artificial teeth with the soft tissue of the gums.
- Edentulous is a term that applies to people who do not have any teeth.
- Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal disease is a condition that causes inflammation of the gingival tissues and membrane of the teeth, leading to tooth loss without professional treatment.
- Pontic is another term for an artificial tooth on a fixed partial denture.
- Rebase is the process of refitting denture prosthesis by replacing the base material.
- Reline is when a professional resurfaces the surface of the prosthesis with a new base material.
- Resin and Acrylic are resinous materials that can be components in a denture base.
- Stomatitis is the inflammation of the tissue that is underlying a denture that does not fit properly. It can also result from other oral health factors.
Back to top of What Do I Do If I Damage My Dentures
General dentist are the best resources to utilize when looking to maintain good oral health. They are responsible for providing routine oral care to patients of varying ages. Additionally, they can perform general dentistry procedures, ranging from teeth whitening to dental filling placement. Because general dentists have such a big role in oral health, it…
A Dental Cleaning is a vital part of maintaining good oral health. Nonetheless, many individuals still skip their dental cleanings due to a busy schedule or feeling confident that oral hygiene is under control. At-home oral hygiene is a great way to maintain good oral health; however, the help of a professional general dentist is…
A Dental Emergency can be a difficult situation for people. Suffering a mouth injury or dealing with an unexpected oral health issue is oftentimes very scary. It can also be difficult to determine exactly what needs to be done to ensure the situation is taken care of properly.Fortunately, there are certain steps that everyone can…
Wondering if you should choose a general dentist to provide you with dental restoration services? General dentists often perform restoration procedures on their patients. These are typically necessary to improve a patient's oral health.Looking for a new general dentist in Southfield? While there are many different types of dentists who can perform dental restorations on…