Helpful Dental Information Southfield, MI
At Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC, we are passionate about oral health and ensuring that our patients have the tools and resources they need to maintain healthy teeth for a lifetime. As a rule of thumb, this demands ongoing, preventative dental care. It also requires education so that you become aware of your dental solutions and what you can do to stay healthy at home. Here, we provide some helpful dental information on oral health. We encourage you to find the section you are interested in and read more details on our website. If you have further questions, call our dental office at (313) 217-5067.
Q & A: Common Dental Questions
- Dental Anxiety
- Dental anxiety is an issue that more people deal with than some realize. If you are afraid of visiting the dentist or have extreme anxiety and worry when it is time to have dental work done, let us know. There are sedation options that can help you to relax and medication that can keep you comfortable during the entire procedure.
- Does Invisalign® Really Work
- Yes, clear aligners can straighten your teeth and give you a beautiful smile. They work by surrounding your teeth and placing pressure on specific ones. By switching your aligners out with a new one in the series, your teeth will continue to move into position until they are perfectly straight. To learn more, call our Southfield, MI dental office and schedule a consultation.
- Options for Replacing Missing Teeth
- If you have lost teeth, you are not alone. The majority of adults will lose at least one permanent tooth. We can provide you with a variety of solutions that include dentures or a dental bridge. All three are an effective way to restore your smile and give you the ability to eat and speak clearly. However, there are distinct advantages to each procedure. To find out which one would work best for you, call 313-217-5067.
- Oral Hygiene Basics
- At Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC, we are passionate about patient education and will take time to show you how to brush and floss properly when you visit our dental office. We recommend that you brush your teeth two to three times a day using a fluoride toothpaste for two minutes at a time. This will help to keep your teeth clean and healthy when also combined with daily flossing. You should still visit our Southfield office for a professional teeth cleaning twice per year.
- Preventative Dental Care
- Preventative dental care is vital to maintaining lifelong oral health. When providing patients with helpful dental information, we always recommend regular teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments for children and potentially – dental sealants. These three things can work together to reduce the likelihood of you and your children developing cavities. At Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC, we can create a preventative dental care plan for you and your family.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Helpful Dental Information Southfield
For more helpful dental information, read our website or call (313) 217-5067 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ronald J. Macafee. At Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC we will be happy to answer any questions you have about oral health from our Southfield dental office.
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Helpful Dental Information
Stained teeth can present a whole host of problems, however, with the help of a family dentist, there are a few ways that they can be prevented. Additionally, understanding the causes of tooth staining can help individuals better prevent them from developing in the future. Family dentists are great resources to utilize when looking for ways…
PPE per CDC guidance is unique wearable coverings designed to protect dental professionals in Freemans Family Dentistry DDS PC from exposure to infections, such as the coronavirus. The PPE is worn during dental procedures and when cleaning sterilizing dental instruments. This article answers some questions about PPE per CDC guidance.PPE means personal protective equipment and…
A tooth abscess is an infection that often requires a prompt visit to the emergency dentistry office. With the lockdown in place due to the COVID-19 outbreak, dentists have limited dental procedures to emergency treatment. The extent of pain and swelling typically determines if there is a dental emergency. However, if the abscessed tooth is…
Undergoing teeth whitening from a dentist is a great way to achieve a brighter smile. Dentists can safely administer teeth whitening trays so that patients have a customized treatment plan. One question that comes along with teeth whitening trays is how long they are to be worn. Keep reading to find out what a dentist…